SABS contact numbers countrywide.

SABS Building Pretoria1 SABS Contact


SANS10400-The application of the National Building Regulations is available for purchase from their offices nationwide (See the contact numbers and addresses below) or from their online website store.







& The National Call Centre

0861 27 7227
email: [email protected]


012 428 7911
email: [email protected]

1 Dr Lategan Road

Private Bag X 191


021 681 6700
email: [email protected]

liesbeek Park Way
Cape Town

PO Box 615
Cape Town

041 391 8400

The Acres Office Park
20 Nile Road
Port Elizabeth

PO Box 3013
North End
Port Elizabeth

031 2032900

15 Garth Road
Waterval Park

PO Box 30087

  23 Responses to “SABS Contact”

Comments (23)
  1. Subject:
    special housing

    Dear Sir/Madam
    We have been contacted by a charitable organisation in Cape town to provide residential housing for underpriviledged people in the community. We are specialists in building dome houses and need to know what type of legislation applies to this type of building in South Africa nad the various processes involved with planning applications.
    Thank you

    • Martin if you are specialists in building dome houses, you ought to be familiar with all the legislation that applies to building in South Africa. That is really really scary if you aren’t! For starters you will need an “agrément certificate that confirms fitness-for-purpose of a non-standardized product, material or component or the acceptability of the related non-standardized design and the conditions pertaining thereto (or both)issued by the Board of Agrément South Africa”. You will also have to have all the relevant “competent persons” on board. I suggest your company invests in a full copy of the National Building Regulations deemed to satisfy rules viz SANS 10400, which is available from any office of the SABS or online. You can get info about agrément certificates in Part A.

  2. I would like to get hold of mr john in the lab to get hold of’s my number 0736365486

  3. h, i like how you give informative informaton, can i ask though. when calculation a slope,gradient, what formular is it they use, as i see 1:12 and i dont get it?

    • Oed, a 1 in 12 slope is almost 5 degrees.

    • Hi oed, To answer your question mathematically it is a gradient of 1-in-12. If you are measuring this in the way that engineers do it, along a length, then the 1 is the the opposite side to the angle and the 12 is the hypotenuse of the right angled triangle; along the length. So the sine of the angle is 1/12 = 0.08333 From tables or from Excel function asin(0.08333), we get an angle of 4.77 degrees; almost 5 degrees.

  4. Hi
    Do you guys offer trainging courses on how to install aluminium windows and doors

  5. Good day
    I would like to know if it is at any possible to order a hard copy version of the SANS reg from you.
    I assume you will have it in a bound file format for people (architects and engineers and builders) to order.
    It’s just always easier to page through and highlite sections in a hard copy as it is with a pdf file on your pc.
    I will really appreciate your help with this matter.
    Best regards
    Maritza Basson

    • Maritza, There is no such things as a “hard copy” version of the SANS. They are all sold by the SABS and are in paper form or as a pdf. If you want to have them bound you will have to do this yourself. There are a few other companies that also sell Standards, but they buy them from the SABS (in bulk, for a discount) and sell them on. Unfortunately they are not free.

  6. Hi

    I am a second year built environment student, looking for legislation
    relating to the national building regulations for the addition of a
    first floor level to a single storey dwelling. Can you maybe point me
    in the right direction?

    Kind Regards

    • Tiaan, a number of regulations will apply, including Part H, Foundations; Part J, Floors; Part K, Walls; and Part L, Roofs. All the other regulations relating to drainage, plumbing, electrics, glazing etc will apply as well. Probably your starting point should be foundations, because if these are not sufficient for a double storey then you could have a major problem. There is no regulation specific to additions.

  7. Hi there

    i am overseeing the company building, do i need to be familiar with the national building regulations.

    • Hi Joan,
      I take it that you are overseeing the company that has been contracted to build your house. So long as the company is registered with the NHBRC and has paid the required fees then they are the ones that have to be familiar with the Building Regulations. But it would be a good idea for you to familiarize yourself with the regulations if you are “overseeing” the building, don’t forget though that they are the registered qualified people and not you.

  8. Hi
    Are there any regulations regarding the installation of satellite dishes
    Thank You

    • Hi Terry,
      Not as far as I know for private dwellings. If you are in a housing complex or an estate there will normally be rules and regulations set down by the body corporate that will say where you can put dishes and aerials.

  9. Hi there,
    I need a quotation for a FULL set of the new National Building
    Regulations please.Printed copy vs. PDF please.

    • Hi Tshepo,
      If you go to our “SABS Contact” page you will find all the addresses and contact details including the online store where you can get the quote you need or purchase the full set of the National Building Regulations.

  10. i require a builders manual and guide how do i go about purchasing

    • Hi Vivian,
      I am not sure which one you mean, but I will give you all the links. The NHBRC publishes the “Home Building Manual” Parts 1, 2 & 3. These manuals are only available from the NHBRC offices direct. You can phone them on their toll-free number: 0800 200 824 or you can find the regional offices on the NHBRC Contacts page. The National Building Regulations are published by the SABS and can be purchased from them directly, see our SABS Contact page. We also have our own publication called Owner Building in South Africa and can click here to buy a copy online.

 Leave a Reply


(required but will remain confidential and not be published)